4 Star - Platters Guide
Gold - Vitis Vini Fera
Gold - Gilbert et Gallaird
- Harvesting was scheduled to obtain optimal phenolic ripeness and to ensure the retention of the vibrant fruit flavour in the berries. The hand harvested bunches were destalked onto a sorting table where only the very best berries were selected for ferment.
- A whole berry component of about 30% reached the fermenter. For complexity and freshness a 5% portion of ripe stalks were added to the berries in the tank.
- The mash was fermented in open top stainless steel fermenters at 24-280 C and ferment lasted 6 days.
- Judicious pumpovers for extraction of flavour, aromatics and tannins were carried out 3- 4 times daily during this time.
- The mash was immediately pressed after alcoholic fermentation was completed and the free run and pressed fractions were consolidated.
- Wine was gravity fed to 225Li barrels for secondary Malo-Lactic fermentation.
- The wine was racked twice for clarification during the maturation period.
- Maturation lasted for 19 months in 21% first, 66% second and 13% third-fill French oak barrels.
- Blending of selected barrels was followed by a light filtration before bottling.
Intense, upfront notes of dark cherry, cracked black pepper, liquorice and a hint of tobacco leaf are cradled by oak spice and suede tannins on the long savoury finish.